Archive for August, 2016

Left Wing and Aileron

Posted in Ailerons, Bottom Wing, Covering, Stewart System, Super Stinker X with tags , , , , on August 29, 2016 by mars58

Some final pics of the aileron and wing together, now the fun begins, stitching…

Advertisements

First Wing Skinned!

Posted in Bottom Wing, Covering, Stewart System, Super Stinker X with tags , , , , , , on August 27, 2016 by mars58

Well, the top layer went on nicely, put the initial shrink on it to 250 degrees, cove looks good so far. Feels pretty good to see this wing shaping up. Next, I will wrap the aileron and if my clearances are good then it’s time for a stitching party!  🙂

Hopefully, This Saves The Next Guy

Posted in Uncategorized on August 26, 2016 by mars58

After shrinking the first skin to 250 degrees, everything looked good. So I started to put down the glue for the cement seam for the second skin. The glue is applied to all the areas where the bottom fabric and top fabric will join up, all the edges mostly. After applying the glue to the aileron cove, I noticed the fabric was pulling off the cove, not good. The Stewart System is pretty forgiving, so I was able to pull up the cover fabric, rub the glue off the top, kinda like rubber cement. Then push glue up on top of the cove trailing edge under the fabric, like I should have done, so that takes the shrink stress and not the cove. Reheat then apply top layer of glue again. So needless to say I will be applying glue to the top of aileron coves from here on out.

IMG_20160826_114144_01

You can see the fabric pulling up in the cove area.

20160825_190404

After pulling up the fabric, surprisingly easy but with some effort, and pushing glue on top of the trailing edge.

20160825_210629

Using my fingers I was able to take the top layer of glue off. This was a PIA.

20160826_005010

The finished result, the stress from the fabric should now be on the trailing edge/top of cove and the cove should stay put.

Finally Covering a Wing

Posted in Bottom Wing, Covering, Stewarts System, Super Stinker X with tags , , , , on August 25, 2016 by mars58

Well, it’s been a while, most of the summer, but I have finally gotten back to making some progress. Here are some pics of the first skin (bottom) of the lower left wing covering process. Tomorrow I finish the glue up and shrink, then apply the top fabric.

%d bloggers like this: